Wednesday, November 11, 2015

SNL-Pres. Election

Taran Killam and Cecily Strong as Donald and Melania Trump.

Saturday Night Live" political skits may actually have an influence on voters.
William Horner, a political science professor at the University of Missouri, has studied the influence of SNL on voters. When the show debuted in 1976, Jimmy Carter was running to unseat Gerald Ford. Because of incidents in which Ford tripped and fell on the stairs of Air Force One, twice, SNL's version using Chevy Chase portrayed Ford as a clumsy person.

It is a popular belief that Sarah Palin actually said "I can see Russia from my house." In fact, the quote came from an SNL skit in which Tina Fey played the Alaska governor.

"The perception is that there’s an audience that cites its primary news source as predominantly entertainment shows and, if valid, this certainly would have an impact on the presidential election," Saltzman said. 

Larry David made his comeback as Bernie Sanders  “I didn’t need no fancy introduction,” he said. “I’m not Elvis Presley.”

 “We need to rebuild our nation’s infrastructure. It’s crumbling. That’s why I no longer drive on bridges or through tunnels. It’s too risky. Instead, I keep a kayak strapped to the top of my car.”

“The other candidates, they’re taking millions of dollars from the Koch brothers and Exxon Mobil. But not me. I only accept coins.........  

Donald Trump also is having a large segment of SNL in a good and funny way.

These skits may improve someone's image or undermine it. For Trump it has been funny and positive. He will build a wall .... Chinese people say "wow that's a wall".  For Sanders, it is extremely funny but it highlights a not so positive side of his message.

Just a thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment